Friday 20 June 2008

Citrus Paradisi: Citrus done well...



Generally speaking, I am a devoted fan of citrus. My mediterranean complexion seems to provide an efficacious canvas upon which it will - more often than not - cheerfully blossom.
Therefore, I have ample scents in my wardrobe with accords that run the gamut from Tunisian bergamot to blood orange, zesty lime and Sicilian lemon to piquant kumquat. But recently I came across a citrus that broke the "clean and fresh" citrus mould.
Citrus Paradisi, the extraordinary eau de toilette released by Czech & Speake of London, is a welcome deviation from the citrus norm. It is both modern and traditional in style. Its opening accords are vibrant and lush, brimming with shimmering grapefruit; but almost instantly one is lured down into the dusky heart of this fragrance where rich patchouli lurks alongside odiferous oak moss. There is a lively shot of black pepper beneath which lends a prickling warmth to the anatomy of this scent. Citrus Paradisi manages to rouse the senses with its shrill, vivacious grapefruit; but also murmurs in one's ear with hushed, tranquil tones. 
It is a 'mature' citrus: one that is contemporary for today, without losing a loyalty and sensitivity to yesterday. Often overlooked, but undeniably one of the best of its class.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to go past a nice citrus. My faves are Eau Sauvage and L'Eau de L'Artisan. Both tend to provide a green dry-down, and in the case of Eau Sauvage vetiver as well. I've suspected that it was my Mediterranean skin that made them blossom! Now it's 2 of us with the same theory, the plot thickens...

Blog Author said...

Eau Savage is an exceptional citrus, only, my wife has vehemently outlawed its use in our home, and earmarked it for my wardrobe only when I reach the ripe old age of 60.
Pity really... there's no accounting for good taste!