Wednesday 6 May 2009

Penhaligon's: Lp No:9 for Ladies



Anyone who knows me in person, or is connected to me via Basenotes, will attest to my love of the men's Penhaligon's release: Lp No:9. I make no bones about my adoration of this scent, and the happy associations I enjoy when wearing it. It was created as a Valentines Day exclusive by the British company, along with its female counterpart in the late 90's, but suffered a short lifespan when the pair were removed from the market in 2006. I was gutted! 
In late 2008 however, the pair enjoyed a welcome resurrection after Penhaligon's understood they had shamelessly deprived Lp fanatics (such as myself) of their fine fragrance holy grails.

Much of my focus up until today has been around the men's release, but since receiving a generous sample from the company in response to a letter of thanks for its reinstatement, I have recently become rather taken with the women's version too.

Not easily put off by its vivid hot-pink juice, I applied Lp No:9 for Ladies and fast learned why this scent is cherished by women with equal enthusiasm as the men with our own. The truth is, that whilst being somewhat acerbic and overtly floral when first applied, Lp For Ladies settles into something quite agreeable on a man's skin. The opening spritz is brimming with sharp citruses and sappy cypress, but a very rich floral heart becomes almost instantly evident when heady jasmine, rose and lily of the valley emerge with alarming intensity. It is here that one's brow might furrow, and a man's resolve may be tested because Lp No:9 for Ladies is no shrinking violet! As this blossoming corsage seems to swell with floral ferocity, one can begin to distinguish shimmering green accords and prickly spices at its heart.
After some time, the florals take a fluttering turn towards the rubber-like accords found in Frederic Malle's En Passant: a tribute to aromatic white lilacs. As the somewhat venomous, narcotising florals begin to recede, peppery carnation and aromatic clove bud shuffle forward. It seems that the entire perfume takes a 90 degree turn and tiny florets of sandalwood, patchouli and oakmoss bloom; bringing with it somewhat more of a sense of masculine earthiness. Here also, one senses vanilla, amber and tonka imbuing the composition with a buttery warmth from beneath... it is highly addictive!
Whilst a razor-edged floral accord that fills the back of the nose is a constant, LP No:9 for Ladies transitions into something warm and sensuous... the kind of odour one might like to share between two bodies, passionately pressed together.

Any chap with a daring nature and whose gender sensitivities transcend the 'norm' will highly appreciate this, though, will also most likely hide the powder-pink box in his dresser drawer.
One to be shared.

Now the song and the lyrics that inspired the scent...




I took my troubles down to Madame Rue.
You know that gypsy with the gold capped tooth
She's got a pad down on 34th and Vine,
Selling little bottles of Love Potion #9.

I told her that I was a flop with chicks.
I've been disgraced since 1956.
She looked at my palm and she made a magic sign.
She said what you need is Love Potion number 9.

She bent down and turned around and gave me a wink.
She said I'm gonna make it up right here in the sink.
It smelled like turpentine, and looked like Indian ink.
I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a drink!

I didn't know if it was day or night.
I started kissing everything in sight.
But when I kissed a cop down on 34th and Vine.
He broke my little bottle of Love Potion number 9.

I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a drink!

I didn't know if it was day or night.
I started kissing everything in sight.
But when I kissed a cop down on 34th and Vine.
He broke my little bottle of Love Potion number 9.

Love Potion #9 ...
Love Potion #9 ...
Love Potion #9 ...

3 comments:

Binny said...

LoL! Love it, and am just about old enough to remember it..

Pat said...

Hello from Belgrade. I like your post, and remember that song! I know all the words...

-regarding your comment on my perfume post, if you write to me at my email in my profile, I will send you another photo of the entire front of the shop so you can recognize it when you come to Belgrade.

Galamb_Borong said...

I think Penhaglion's might have forgotten some of those turpentine notes...

I tried this for the first time today. It's interesting, it has a kind of fougere texture without most of the fougere elements, if that makes any sense. A very bracing lavender, citrus and muguet leading down to a bright and powdery mixed floral base.