Friday 13 March 2009

Individual perfume evaluations


As a student of the Nature's Nexus Academy of Perfuming Arts, I am learning more and more about perfumery as an accomplished craft than perhaps I'd first imagined. Studying the complexities of the perfuming process from inception to completion has really left me feeling somewhat overwhelmed, but also with a greater appreciation of the art. My individual evaluations of oils in my perfumer's palette alone has enabled me to recognise and appreciate individual accords and the olfactory qualities that can be attributed to each of them. With around 100 diluted absolutes to analyze, I have my work cut out for me before I even begin to attempt to mix a scent of my own... the theory and safety information alone have kept my nose buried in books, before even a solitary sniff of the air could be had.

I've decided to post a brief evaluation of certain individual essences from time to time with you, the reader. Of course they are my own observations, but in doing so, I hope to be able to impart just a little more information about the properties of an oil, and how I feel it can be well applied and interpreted in perfumery. I will begin with scents that interest, challenge or move me in some way, but invite you to request individual essences you might like to learn of, (if indeed it is in my palette). Just leave a comment if you'd like me to examine a particular accord.

6 comments:

Angela Cox said...

Ambergris if possible.

Blog Author said...

I have an ambergris tincture en route as we speak, and I will be delighted to evaluate it for you Angela. Please watch this space :)

Angela Cox said...

Thank-you Dimitri , I certainly will watch for your review.

Parfum said...

hey friend. You'll be recieving some other goodies soon too :) Lets do a little interblog notes comparison

Byzantika.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Jonquil perhaps?

I would also love to see an evaluation of mysore sandalwood, chinese magnolia and ylang ylang.